CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

High Expectations

Thanks for all the supportive comments on my last post.

Sometimes I need to be reminded that grief isn't linear. Instead it has its peaks and valleys. I'm just so tired of finding myself in yet another valley. I know I'll make it out eventually, and that it will take time. But because of the holidays it feels extra hard to climb and reach my peak.

After Friday's post I was hit with a bit of an epiphany.

I sometimes wonder if after being on this rocky road of infertilty for so long (8 years, this last September), if I've become so callous, so closed off, that there isn't anything anyone can tell me that will make me feel better about my situation.


This whole time I've been waiting for someone to tell me something that will make me feel better. Encouraging words that will save me and pull me out of the darkness that has found me. Words of wisdom that will help me navigate through the perpetual grief that seems to find me whenever I find a respite.

The harsh reality is that I don't think such words exist. There are no words to ease the grief, unless I want to hear useless platitudes that are about as useful as a chocolate teapot (ooh chocolate). And if I'm waiting for such words to be said to me, that is a horribly high expectation I have put on my friends.


This whole time I've been expecting them to know what to say to me, and that is a bit twisted, not to mention utterly stupid.

This is what I have been struggling with, until I had this epiphany Friday night.

Most of my friends don't know the pain we've gone through to have a child. They know our story, and the struggle, but they have never experienced the pain of infertility, and honestly, I don't wish for them to know that particular kind of pain. It's lonely, and it sucks.


So what words do I not want said to me? Please don't tell me that our baby is out there somewhere, because what if she/he isn't. Please don't tell me that we'll be great parents someday, because what if we never get the opportunity. I know this may sound harsh, but these phrases don't help us.

Just tell me you are thinking of us, and if you are the praying kind, just say you are praying for us. Truly, those are the best words.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I'm not only praying and thinking of you both I'm keeping hope.

Katie said...

I can only share the words that I tell myself, that make me feel better. It all turned around for me when I accepted this-
God has a specific plan for us. One greater than I could ever dream up. It requires hurt, and loss, and lot of pain, but in the end, because of what we've lived through, HE will somehow be glorified. And in the end, if he hasn't called me to be a mom, its because he has something greater for me. And I want to find out what that is in the meantime, while I wait.
It may not bring you peace, but it does me. I will be praying for you, and wish you all the best!

Baby Hopes said...

This really is a wonderful post, and so full of the truth of what those of us who've faced such a long, hard road with infertility have felt. I AM thinking of you and sending prayers your way. Also, I nominated you for an award on my blog. Sending love ---

Anonymous said...

Absolutely thinking of you and sending vibes out into the universe that one day you'll look back on these scars and love who you are because of them.

Post a Comment