People hear '33' and they seem to think that its okay to now have that 'talk' with me about it being time for me to settle down and have kids.
Yes, like I haven't thought of that too.
My hairdresser was the first one this week. "When are you going to have kids? You know, its time to start thinking about it."
I had only a split second to think about whether or not I should be honest with her and tell her we are infertile or just let it slide. The last time I let it slide I was called a 'Woman of Leisure' in which the questioners wrongfully assumed that I didn't want kids. The end result was not pretty, as I was on the verge of tears and practically yelling at them that I did in fact want kids, we were just was unable to have them.
I decided to be completely honest with her. Her face fell, she seemed genuinely sorry that she had asked. I think she was searching for something comforting to say, the end result was, "enjoy your life and the time you have with your husband." She should have stopped after that, but instead she proceeded to tell me how difficult it was raising four children. Thanks...I think.
The next one was yesterday with a new member. I was training her on the machines and like all new people they want to chat, so what is the question she asks me, "Any children?"
Crap!!!
"No"
"Do you want kids?"
Seriously? Are you kidding me?
And there it was again, the internal conflict of choosing to be honest or choosing to cower in my own secrecy of IF. I choose honesty, and for the worse reason yet. I wanted her to feel bad asking a young infertile woman the one question she hates to hear and answer. I wanted to strip away the assumption that just because a woman looks of child-bearing age, doesn't mean she can bear children. I wanted her to think twice about ever opening with that line of questioning...ever again.
So I said, "We want kids, we're just not able to have them."
Of course what I really wanted to say was, Thank you, for bringing up such a painful subject. Why don't you give me a nice paper cut and poor lemon juice on it. (Thanks Miracle Max).
I know honesty is the best thing in dealing with people and their annoying questions, its just so exhausting. Every time I 'out myself' to these people, anxiety soon follows. I can feel my heart start to beat faster and faster against my ribcage. I can feel the tears threatening to come from behind my eyes, followed by the painful lump in my throat, as I try to be strong and come clean about my inability to have children.
I swear the next person that asks me the 'kids' question, I'll be sure to accompany my honest answer with some tears.
On a happy note, I'm excited that we finally picked an adoption agency. I spent my birthday night rewriting the application and deciding which picture to send with it. I choose this one.
Anyway, I'm glad that we took that step of faith. We will see what happens and what God has in store for us.
Have a great weekend, everyone :)



16 comments:
When people ask me when I'm having kids I always say 'never'. and then i change the subject. mostly I'm content to let people believe I hate children, mostly because I don't like other people's kids anyway.
I love jensays' comment! DH and I just went out to dinner and had to sit next to some's child throwing a full-on tantrum for 20 minutes. I leaned over to DH and told him I didn't really like other people's kids. LOL!
I'm so excited for you! I felt so good after we mailed in that application--which sat on the desk for about 4 months. Great picture too.
I can't believe the things people ask. I'm a really private person, so I guess I think of these things before actually asking someone a question. But I find that most others do not do this. Wait until you tell people you are adopting. You'll get a barrage of really stupid questions, like 'why don't you want *real kids*?' or 'I could never give up a child for adoption.' ARGH!
Jen, your comment cracked me up. Now that I think about it I don't like other people's kids either (strangers, not friends).
Heather, "why don't you want real kids" Seriously? People have actually said that to you? *shakes head in disbelief* I can't beleive the nerve of some people. Its not like you're adopting robots. And its not 'giving up' its 'making an adoption plan' Thanks for the warning, Heather.
Love the photo!!! And so excited that you have chosen and agency. Praying that your wait is a short one!
Since my DH & I fall into the unexplained infertile category, I too am perfectly honest when people ask if we want kids...if we plan on having kids...when we're having kids...blah, blah, blah.
I simply say, "Yes, we want children and we've been trying for over 2 years without any success. We've seeing a specialist and, after my miscarriage last October, I'm hoping we'll be pregnant again soon."
I say this for two reasons. One, I want to be honest about it because while my infertility issue SUCK, I'm not ashamed about my infertility. Two if they don't have the balls to accept an answer they aren't expecting...then they shouldn't be asking. And maybe, just maybe, they'll be a little more tactful with the next unsuspecting infertile they come across.
I'm glad that you 'outed' yourself to those people! Just think, maybe they won't be so callous next time with someone else. Peer pressure and shame are powerful motivators.
Congrats on finding your adoption agency! I love the pic!
Btw, love your reference to The Princess Bride. :)
People can be soooo insensitive sometimes!
I hate people and their insensitive questions! I had come up with a huge list of comebacks at one point since it aggravated me so much. Good luck with the adoption!
ICLW
LOVE this post! And also congrats on choosing an adoption agency!!
Love, love, love Emi's answer. Now I just need the cojones to use it myself. I can't believe how insensitive people are. I mean, I know I was totally ignorant before IF, but even I knew better back then to not say certain stupid things.
Congrats on moving forward with the adoption agency. Love the pic, and I hope the process goes smoothly for you.
Congratulations on choosing your adoption agency! I love the picture :)
I love that picture for a profile! Its perfect! I was so happy when I was finally able to give people my "We're adopting" answer, but as Heather said that sometimes gets stupid responses too. The worst are the anti-adoption attacks.
love your picture...remember celebrate your birthday ALL MONTH (More cake!!!)
I will share this with you, even now after everything and having toddlers and people want to know when they will get a "sister" LOL...I still have a panic attack and I bring the soapbox out EVERY SINGLE TIME..g*d forbid you ask me in Wa*lMa&t LOL. I just feel like if you ask...you WANT an answer and I'm going to GIVE You one.
I know it hurts, I'm glad you decided on an agency and I know that you're going to be INCREDIBLE PARENTS...that is enough for now.
*HUGS*
Ugh...people just say stupid things. Why don't people get it's really none of their business and that some people really do want kids and have trouble having them???
I am so glad you chose an agency. woohooo!! I love the pic. It's a great one!
aww thanks for the hug today!
you need to do some updating here
(what would jen do)
we would tell people we can't have kids and change the subject or walk away. It's a show stopper. Congrats on choosing an agency. It is a big step.
Post a Comment