I don't have many of these days. I've learned over the years that most comments, questions, or observations directed at me in regards to my infertility shouldn't be taken to heart.
That is not to say that there aren't some days when its impossible not to feel the dagger of a non-chalaunt, inappropriate statement formed in the guise of a backwards complement.
I know we don't have children. I wake up every morning to that reality. Sometimes as I'm walking to work I'll remember that its been 7 years of wanting kids and not being able to have them. I'm reminded everyday of something I've wanted for so long. I don't need other people reminding me too.
I have found that there are two things I hate talking about: my age and how long I've been married. Know why? Because those are the two topics that lead right into the Dreaded Kids Question.
I've been told many times that I don't look my age. Its not really surprising to me since I've haven't looked my age since I was 18. I do find it hilarious that no one believes me when I say that I'm 33 years old. Some days its complementary, but lately on numerous occasions I've been told the reason I don't look my age is because I don't have children. Thanks...I think.
The first time this was said to me I kind of brushed it off. But Wednesday, or as I dubbed it Infertility Rage Day, I just couldn't shake it off, because it was said by a member at work who I actually like talking to on a regular basis. I wasn't feeling good that day so I didn't have the energy to defend myself with a snarky response. And worse, it was said amongst other women I'm not really comfortable being that transparent to about my inability to have children.
I came home trying to figure out what 33 looks like. And I'm surprised I don't look my age considering the stress I've been under over the past 7 years trying to have a baby. I would think that would have aged me. Or the trauma of having to endure an ectopic pregnancy resulting in losing my tube and our first baby. Surely that would have aged me. Or having to mourn my dream children with the help of a counselor. I'm surprised that hasn't aged me.
And I did the only thing I knew to do when someone reminds me that I'm infertile. I cried and I cried hard. I yelled and raged at anyone who was listening (poor Jack). And it didn't help that it was the gloomiest day ever.
Sometimes I really hate being in the company of other women, and their ignorance to the realities of IF, especially when I'm on the receiving end of it.
Infertility Rage Day. I don't have those days a lot, but when they do come approach with caution and carbs.
1106th Friday Blog Roundup
1 day ago


16 comments:
I'm so sorry you had a rough day. You're entitled to an IF Rage day every now and then, though!
Happy ICLW! ~#42
I'm so sorry you had a bad day. I've had many of those days and they suck. No other was to say it. I hope tomorrow is better.
Hang in there.
So sorry, I hate those questions as well...as you said they always lead to uncomfortable situations. Some people are so blindly ignorant to the world of infertility and it is so frustrating to be on the receiving end of that. Thinking about you & sending love...hope this weekend is gentler.
Oh, it is sooo hard. I am also 33 and look about 10years younger, so I would get, "why are you so worrie, you're still young." Yeah, not in baby-making land. And I am way older than you think. I have actually pulled out my id to show people as proof. And THEN they treat you like the age they think you are. Grrrr.
Hmmm, hit a nerve. HUGS sweetie. I totally get it. HUGS.
Sorry for your bad day! People are so stupid sometimes, especially when they have no experience with IF. Hope your weekend is better!
Oh I hope your feeling better now!
Ugh what an insensitive comment, it makes me feel ragey as well. So sorry you had to go through that. I hate the implication that children age you...as if the pain of infertility is a youth tonic. Hope the weekend is better for you.
So sorry you had one of those days. I hate the dreaded do you have kids question. I get a huge pit in my stomach every time I hear it. Ugh.
~ICLW
So sorry.
It's easy for others to say, "Having kids doesn't define you as a woman." Um, yes, it does. Only someone without kids would ever say that.
http://funnylittlepollywogs.com
We have days when it is okay. We have days when infertility is overwhelming. I'm sorry you had one of the tough days. Sending a hug and a shoulder if you still need it.
sorry you had a rough day.
i can always see the wheels turning in people's heads after they ask me those 2 questions as I wait to see what they will say next.
Grrr! I hate when insensitive comments are made. I'm somewhat of a snarky personality so I always tend to be a bit brutal in my responses. Probably not the best way but its the way I handle it. Stopping by to say hello from ICLW!
So sorry! That sucks! I can't stand the insensitiveness of random people and the randomness of insensitive people you know! Well, what else can I say but I love carbs too! That can be a great coping mechanism but my thighs (& butt) may disagree! ICLW # 61 & 62
I also though I could deal with most situations by now, but recently after my miscarriage I seem to be getting more and more of those infertility rage days...
All the best with the adoption process and I hope you'll be placed with a baby soon and that there will be no problems!
ICLW # 105
I am SO SORRY I am here late, and I wasn't here for you during your Rage day. Because all of us HERE, know those days, even after the babies, we hear something and we're reduced to our primal IF selves...and it's TOO MUCH, it's too unfair, our lot in life, the only place to be is somewhere we people understand.
I hope by now, you are feeling better, you're a beautiful inside and out...and once you're past this rage, you'll be better for it, you'll go on just like you do. <3
Yes ... I know I'm behind in commenting. And I'm so sorry I wasn't there to partake in your IF Rage Day. I've had many of those over the years ... and still have them every once in a while.
Had to chuckle about the whole "younger than I look" comment and how it relates to the fact that you don't have kids. Because I know that I've experience those things too.
Belated HUGS to you on this post.
Post a Comment