That was the question I got asked by the Bank Manager as I sat at his desk trying to straighten out the mess with our checks. I was surprised at the question considering he looked about the same age is me (give or take a few years).
"They're alright. Why?" I answered warily .
"My wife is having a hard time with turning 30."
"Oh, um. Do you have children?" I asked, cringing because I hate when people ask me that question.
"A two-year old."
Internal groan, of course he has a kid. *facepalm*
I smiled, nodded and told him that turning 30 was hard for me because I thought we (my husband and I) would have had two kids by then and we'd be done, but no. He looked surprised at the thought of being 30 and having two kids. I explained that I got married when I was 24, so it made sense to me. I had a plan, but nothing went according to my plan.
He proceeded to say what all fertile people with kids say (no offense to those with kids reading this) about kids being a major exhausting life change and blah, blah, blah. I smiled and told him that I know its a change. I know having kids must be hard. I might not have experienced that particular change or hardship yet, but that is only because I haven't been given the chance.
I don't think he was expecting me to be so open. I wasn't expecting it either, but he started it with that stupid question. And I didn't give him any details of our struggles and losses, that would have been overkill and a bit weird.
To be honest I haven't enjoyed my early thirties. They have been the hardest years for me. I sometimes think maybe last year and the year before were my two years of experiencing a mid-life crisis (okay that is probably a bit too over dramatic).
The only thing I enjoy about being in my early thirties is not looking like I am in my early thirties.
People ask the stupidest questions.
Making Bets
1 day ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment