I woke up this morning with a familiar tightening in my chest, which really doesn't bode well for the rest of my day. Because now I'm trapped at home wary of going anywhere public in fear that I may go into full on anxiety-attack mode and fall apart at the slightest question directed at me.
These don't happen often...about once, twice maybe three times a month. It was worse when I was working, because I didn't have the luxury of staying home like I do now. I'd have to grin and bear it all the while struggling to breathe and counting down the hours till my shift ended.
When I'm like this its hard to look for a distraction. Usually I'll find one in reading a bit of fiction our watching a movie (mostly action - the fast pace action sequences are great for my senses). But typically the distraction doesn't last and I'm back struggling to breathe or find the reason why I'm in the state that I'm in.
I wish I knew what triggered them? Is it hormonal? Probably. Am I making these attacks happen? I don't know.
You'd think that since I'm not working that the anxiety attacks would stop. Yeah, I thought so too, but no.
I don't really want to look for a job, and I feel guilty for thinking that. I try to compensate by attempting to be the best housewife ever, but sometimes I even suck at that. Or maybe I'm just being too hard on myself.
Its not that I don't want to work, heck if I was getting paid to write movie reviews that would be the BEST. JOB. EVER. I just don't want to work in a customer service setting, and for whatever reason I feel that is all I'm qualified to do. To be completely honest, the thought of having to look for a job freaks the heck out of me. Especially if days like these are happening more frequently.
I know I should probably call my doctor and make an appointment. But this is the same doctor that when I gave her the physical form from the adoption agency she said, "Oh, so you're giving up on trying?"
Thanks.
I don't remember if I actually answered her comment or not.
Its also days like these that I wonder if I should go back into therapy. But I don't think they happen enough to constitute $110 a session.
Its sad that its such a beautiful day outside and yet I don't feel the need to leave my apartment.
Sometimes I wish I was a runner. Because I'd run until my lungs screamed in protest and my legs burned with exhaustion. And maybe, just maybe I'd be able to breathe. I'd be forced to take deep breaths from the overexertion and maybe the deep breaths would subside the sobs I can feel itching to escape.
I wonder sometimes if I get these anxiety attacks because I'm depressed. Its possible. I don't eat much on days like these because I'm not really that hungry. I'll eat some cereal, but that's about it. The rest of the day I'll just drink coffee.
Maybe I am depressed. It seems silly, but after Friday the thing I've been looking forward too since 2007 will be here.
| *sniffs* Post-Potter Depression will commence on Sat 7.16 |
I know you're rolling your eyes at me. I can feel it, but just give me a chance to explain. We aren't doing IF treatments anymore so the things I look forward to now-a-days are small silly things like trips, movies, Disneyland trips, new Doctor Who episodes, or that coveted phone call from our agency telling us that a birthmother is interested in our profile.
Its the little things I look forward to, as silly and daft as they may be, that make this whole journey of nothing happening bearable. Especially on days I'd rather stay in bed in the safe confines of my apartment.

4 comments:
I definitely think that my anxiety is hormonally driven. We've tracked it, and about a week before AF is due...my anxiety starts into high gear. It peaks a few days before AF...and then settles down during the week of AF. I talked to my doctor about it, and she thinks it has something to do with progesterone/estrogen levels. It SUCKS, no matter what causes it.
I understand about wanting to make the journey more bearable. I am struggling to do the same thing.
Big HUGS!!!
I'm so sorry you feel this way. I thought maybe you can give running a try, what do you think? I personally don't run, but you may enjoy it. And no one here is judging you. Do whatever you need to do to feel better. Love, Fran
So sorry you are feeling this way. Ugh on the dr! Some people just don't get it! No need to explain Harry Potter! Enjoy!
I've had super similar issues and even convinced myself I had a serious medical condition that landed me in the ER. After hours of testing, x-rays, ultrasounds, blood draws, etc. the nurse had me work on deep breathing. She was right - there was nothing "wrong" with me. I was just stressed to the max. Sometimes having more time to focus on being stressed out makes the stress even worse. Keep your mind off things and surround yourself with things you love. Smells were good triggers for me so I bought candles with good fragrances, would play my favorite song, say a prayer, take deep breaths and thank God for just being able to breath deeply. Slowly and surely things got better. I slip back into it if I am not careful, but at least now I recognize when it's getting out of control.
Post a Comment