The meeting with our social worker went well. It was mostly a introduction meeting but apparently it counted toward a portion of our group interview for the Home Study. She also gave us our autobiographical questionnaires, a few other forms (LiveScan) and we scheduled my individual interview for Wednesday (that went well too.)
After the meeting Michael asked me if I wanted to go to our Barnes and Noble. Not just any Barnes and Noble, the Barnes and Noble where he proposed. The Barnes and Noble where I said yes. Of course I wanted to go! (Yes, we are oddly romantic.)
We hadn't been there in years, mostly because shortly after we were married we moved out of the area and eventually out of the country. Once we moved back to CA we settled in a different county, so this trip was special.
As we walked in the store Michael had me by the hand and we were both narrating to each other our own version of that day. Back then he was dragging me through the store frantically trying to find a section that was empty. Eventually we ended up on the second floor in the Bibles and Eastern Philosophies section. It was the only empty section in the store (kinda sad when I think about it) next to a floor to ceiling window. Its was there that he got on one knee and asked me to marry him.
Looking around it was clear that they had moved all the sections. As we went up the escalator and walked to the left we could already see that Bibles and Eastern Philosophies was no longer there. I had this funny feeling in the pit of my stomach which section they had replaced it with. Sure enough when we got there it was now the Pregnancy and Child-rearing section. Oh, the irony.
Michael and I laughed, but it got me thinking of where we were 10 years ago and where those 10 years have brought us.
Ten years ago infertility was the farthest thing from our minds. Ten years ago I had just said yes to the love of my life and was looking forward to spending my life with him. Ten years ago I had dreamed that we would have had 2 kids by now, a lovely house with a two car garage. Living happy and ignorant of the dangers of infertility.
Ten years later infertility is sometimes all I can think about, because its part of who I am. Ten years later we've had our two kids, but we'll never get to hold them or see them grow up. Ten years later and I know more about infertility treatments and words like hysterosalipingogram and intrauterine insemination, than I would like.
But in these ten years, as hard as they have been at times, I wouldn't change it. Well, the not being able to have children part, I would change. I'd be lying if I said no. I'm talking about the influence infertility has had on us, I wouldn't change that. Infertility really has made us stronger and closer as a couple, and when there was no one else to cling to, to save us from the pain of failed treatments, miscarriages, and final decision not to try anymore, we had each other.
I know that infertility has shaped us into the people we are today. I don't know what kind of person I would be had we not been touched by it. Would I still appreciate things the same way I do now? Would I take every good thing for granted, instead of treasuring it? Would I be one of those insensitive people asking inapproriate questions or giving out useless platitudes to someone I know living with infertility?
Would we be adopting? Probably not, and that made me sad.
***
Standing together in the Pregnancy and Child-rearing section formerly known as the Bibles and Eastern Philosophies, Michael wrapped his arms around me and asked me if I'd marry him again. I said yes, in a heartbeat and I wouldn't change a thing.



27 comments:
Awww. So sweet. I love your engagement story.
And I also sometimes think about what our infertility and long adoption wait have given us. There are some silver linings.
I don't know for sure that something like infertility changes us so much as it brings out a new side of us. One that we wouldn't have had to explore or know if babies came easy. I like to think that we have a little something extra.
Well happy 10 years! And I am so glad that your adoption process is moving forward smoothly. Congrats! I love the Barnes and Noble proposal :)
What a beautiful post. A really wonderful way to reflect on these 10 years. Through good and bad.
Happy ICLW!
-Jess (#74)
Awe, what a beautiful story. I LOVED this post, I can relate to so much of what you said about not changing certain aspects of who you have become as a result of infertility. I too feel such incredible strength at all we have survived as well as perspective about what is really important in this life.
Happy ICLW, you've got yourself a new follower:)
What a beautiful story! I am sitting here crying, because I have the same feelings! I HATE infertility and all the garbage that goes with it, but I thank God (weirdly so) that my husband and I have endured it. We are stronger, more in love and I know will love that baby (whenever it comes) more than I could ever imagined! I'm glad I found you! :) Happy ICLW!
~Michelle
mmproper.blogspot.com
Congrats!
11 years on, I too would have thought we'd have at least one child now [possibly two] rather than 8 miscarriages under our belt.
Good luck with the adoption!
ICLW
#56 Miss Ruby
http://www.themissruby.blogspot.com/
Happy ICLW! That is the sweetest story!
Happy ICLW (#18)! I love your engagement story:-) My husband and I will are into our 10th year together too! We are planning on renewing our vows in Scotland on our 10th anniversary next July-complete with kilts for him & our little boy!
I am certain that IF took a little bit of my mind that I will never get back. I sure do hate IF. I am a mommy now because of the miracle of adoption. My son will be 4 in October. What an awesome little kid! Because of him, I wouldn't change one single minute of my life (including the years of IF). It is strange to say it, but if any of the treatments had worked for us, then AJ wouldn't be here...and the world just wouldn't be the same without him.
Visiting from ICLW...
I love this post, so beautiful and poignant. Standing together 10 years later, realizing that even though things didn't work out they way you dreamed, you are stronger today than you were then...my husband & I feel the same way.
I would never wish IF on anyone. Yet I know that through our struggle, we became stronger, both individually and as a couple. Now that we have two kids (both adopted internationally), I know it also made us better parents.
Good luck to you as you begin the adoption process!
Happy engagement anniversary, and I am glad that things went well with your new social worker!
Happy ICLW
This post is so beautiful I have tears in my eyes! Happy anniversary and I am praying for you guys.
Happy IComLeavWe!
<3MaryAnne #135
Happy anniversary! I love looking back on the past and realizing that as much as I try to control everything on a daily basis, our lives are going to take twists and turns that we couldn't predict. And in turn, that leads us to new places we never would have went. So happy for you both!
Cheese Curds and Kimchi
That was such a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your story and your thoughts.
Heartstopping and heartbreaking all in one post! Your engagement story is so romantic and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to live through your pain with you in this brief post to come to where you are now awaiting the next step in life. I truly hope and pray your adoption journey moves smoothly and quickly!
Happy ICLW!
ICLW - Thank you for sharing your story. You're right, finding out you two can face anything is a gift. You will both be wonderful parents. It's a lovely thing, I know.
This story put tears in my eyes! Oh, so sweet. Hopefully it was a sign that you walked back in there and saw what you saw. I sure hope so. :)
Thank you for your comment! I'm now following you and have added you to my blog-list. I love ICLW! <3
Amazing where time will take you and where time used to leave you wondering where you'd be... Great post! Love the reflection!
ICLW
Happy 10 years! What a funny journey life is...
ICLW #86
That was very beautifully written. I'm sorry you're here but glad to meet you. Good luck on your adoption! We just celebrated our 10th anniversary so we are right there behind you.
ICLW #15
Great post and such a sweet story! We are on year 10 too and I wouldn't change anything either! It's amazing how strong you can become through all of this!
That was such a beautiful post.
BEautiful. We never know what road life will take us down, but its always wonderful to have someone to amazing to take the path with, bumps and all.
Visiting from ICLW :)
Your love story is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I am so happy for you and your husband and your baby-to-be that you will have a home so full of love! Adoption has a special place in my heart for many reasons.
It was so nice to "meet" you and I look forward to following your journey!
ICLW #171
~Lacie
http://funnylittlepollywogs.com
Found this post via Creme. So beautiful and touching.
Thanks for sharing your favorite post with me. It brought tears to my eyes! I think a lot about whether I would change things if I had the chance... I don't know. I've learned so much but it would be nice to go back to my former naive self (as long as I didn't ask other people inappropriate questions!)
Post a Comment