It's times like these that I feel compelled to wear a sign that says,
"No, I don't have kids. Yes, I want them, but after 9 years of trying, I haven't been able to have them, so I got cats instead."
I actually said this to someone upon being asked, "So when are you going to have babies?"
It was only my third day back at my old job (yes, you read that right. I'm filling in for my old boss while she is on vacation.), and I already had the Dreaded Question directed at me twice in one shift.
*sigh* WTFrick?
I sometimes wish I was quick enough to say, "beep! I'm sorry the quota of personal questions has been filled. To proceed further, either find a new topic of conversation, or pay a personal question fee of $50 dollars. Starbucks cards are also accepted."
Or I can skip the warning altogether and go directly to the personal question fee. I should charge a personal question fee.
After I said that to her, she didn't look me in the face. I guess I was too honest for her liking, but really, she had it coming. She only had herself to blame. If you'd have been there, if you'd have heard her, I bet you would have done the same.
I work again tonight. I'm hoping my Sheild of Sarcasm and wrist cuffs of Snark will repell any incoming jabs at me.
Making Bets
1 day ago

17 comments:
i always tell people, you think it's an innocent question, but it's not, mind your manners
Ugh! That question should be off limits. Period.
I <3 your response. I think you're right, she had it coming. Of course, I'm feeling quite snarky at the moment.
That's an awesome response. I'm usually honest but not blunt, sometimes I should be though. I've never understood why people are just so damn nosy.
I love your response to the question. I may steal it! :)
ICLW #30
Love the shield of sarcasm and wrist cuffs of snark! I think I have my own set...and now I picture a superhero gang of infertiles shutting down the injustice of insensitive questions.
ICLW #43
I'm right there with you in regards to "so I got cats instead." I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up being the crazy cat lady that lives on the corner of the street. I love your responses, said or thought and may have to use them soon.
ICLW #32
Greetings from ICLW!
Wrist cuffs of snark. Excellent band name.
My favorite response thus far is "Nope, no kids, just free time and money".
Here from ICLW. I like the Starbucks cards idea. It's about time we got something in return for all of the stupid questions.
That is the worst question to get. But I'm impressed how you were honest about it! I usually giggle stupidly and say "oh you know, we will have them eventually". Meanwhile on the inside I'm weeping like no other.
I hope your Shield of Sarcasm comes in handy. I know I use mine frequently.
ICLW #41
Ahhh! I totally hear you. I'm heading to a potluck tonight and bracing myself for a host of questions. I wish I had the guts to give an honest response one of these times.
Hi from ICLW...I hate it when I get asked the same thing...I really want to tell them we have been trying and it has worked yet
ICLW #4. People shouldn't ask personal questions if they're not prepared for the answer. Good for you for not internalizing the hurt to make her feel better just because that's the conventionally correct response!
"she had it coming. She only had herself to blame. If you'd have been there, if you'd have heard her, I bet you would have done the same."
Nice little tribute to Chicago (the musical) there! :)
And I love the personal quesion fee thing! If only I had thought of that...
ICLW #7
Hello from ICLW! I love your response and I think it was totally appropriate. Perhaps this individual will think twice about asking personal questions in the future. Good luck with the adoption process!
Oh my goodness (Hi from ICLW #21)! I totally get it! As I am sure we ALL have had someone say something stupid. I was sitting at church with my YOUNGER, pregnant sister... she had JUST found out she was having a boy. Well, a lady that we both know pretty well came up and said "when are YOU going to have children... you need to catch up..." Now, my sister is great. She had to do clomid for 3 rounds to get pg... she understands a bit, so she knew... well, i broke down right there, cried and cried... the lady felt terrible... and days later said "i know not to say things like that... i don't know why i did" and she apologized... that was the only time i cried AT someone though... LOL!
i am sorry you had to deal with that! And i hope it doesn't happen again!
Here from ICLW - I am SO tired of people feeling that they can ask such personal questions.
Post a Comment